Alameda Health System (AHS) is a major public health care provider and medical training institution recognized for its world-class patient and family centered system of care.
Through a welcomed partnership between patient, family and the healthcare team, AHS provides comprehensive, high quality medical treatment, health promotion, disease prevention and health maintenance in an integrated system of hospitals, clinics, and health services. As a training institution, AHS maintains an environment that is supportive of a wide range of educational programs and activities, including education of medical students, interns, residents, continuing education for medical nursing, and other staff, along with medical research.
Our campuses are located in Oakland, CA., and the East Bay area:
Highland Hospital, located in Oakland, CA., is a major regional trauma center and teaching hospital that delivers primary, specialty, and multi-specialty care. Within the Highland campus are Centers of Excellence in Maternity Services, Gastroenterology, Surgery, Orthopedics, Geriatrics/Senior Care, and Trauma.
Emergency and Trauma
- Northern Alameda County’s highest level Trauma Center serving over 2,000 critically injured patients per year
- Inpatient/Outpatient Care
- Full range of services including Cardiac, Cancer, HIV/AIDS, Orthopedics, Dental, Diabetes, Respiratory, Substance Abuse Treatment and Maternal/Child Health
- Medical interpretation in 24 languages through in-person staff and state of the art videoconferencing
- Residencies in Emergency Medicine, Surgery, Oral Surgery, Internal Medicine, Primary Care, Transitional Care.
John George Psychiatric Hospital, located in San Leandro, CA., provides psychiatric emergency and acute care services to adults experiencing severe and disabling mental illnesses.
- Inpatient psychiatric services (approx. 3,200 admissions per year)
- Psychiatric Emergency Service treats more than 95% of acute psychiatric emergencies in Alameda County
- Inpatient Substance Abuse Treatment
Fairmont Hospital, also in San Leandro, is an Acute Rehabilitation Center that is one of the foremost providers of acute rehabilitation services in Northern California, treating severe injuries such as stroke, brain and multiple-trauma. Services include:
- 50-bed Acute Rehabilitation Center treating Cerebral, Vascular, Neurological, Brain Injury, Spinal Cord Injury, Multiple Trauma, Amputation, Orthopedic Injury and Chronic Pain
- Occupational and Physical Therapy
- Speech Pathology and Audiology
- 109-bed Skilled Nursing Facility
- Many residents have multiple diagnoses including neuro-respiratory, substance abuse or other behavioral issues
- Median age is younger than 60
San Leandro Hospital is a 93-bed community-based hospital that provides inpatient and outpatient services including medical, surgical and intensive care. The hospital serves central Alameda County, a community of 265,000 people.
Medical services include 24-hour emergency services, a 13-bed, Level II Emergency Department, critical care, a full complement of skilled surgeons, rehabilitation services, and ancillary services.
Specialty Services – Other, specialized hospital programs include:
- Emergency Services
- Imaging Services
- Infectious Disease Services
- Kidney Care
- Lab Services
- Social Work Services
A network of community-based Wellness Centers that expand access to primary care and AHS medical specialties. All primary services are offered at the Wellness Centers to provide continuity of care for patients. Services include Pediatrics, Immunizations, Family Planning, HIV/AIDS, Breast Health, Dental, Podiatry, TB, Minor Surgery, Social Work and Health Education.
Wellness Centers are located at:
- Highland Wellness Center, Oakland
- Eastmont Wellness Center, Oakland
- Hayward Wellness Center, Hayward
- Newark Wellness Center, Newark
If you are a health care professional, please visit the newly-enhanced Job Opportunities section and consider AHS as the vehicle for your career growth. If you are a medical student planning for post-MD training, look into our outstanding Residency Programs affiliated with University of California-San Francisco and University of the Pacific.