Maternal Child Health
Maternal and Child Health includes obstetrics, gynecology, pediatrics and newborn services, providing a rich variety of care options for women and children. Patients at all stages of life have access to preventive or treatment services that range from new-baby programs to post-menopausal specialty services.
In addition to programs offered at Highland Hospital, ambulatory care services such as family planning, prenatal and well-baby care are also offered at Alameda Health System’s freestanding Eastmont, Hayward and Newark Health Centers.
The Highland Hospital Family Birthing Center’s facility, technology and team of providers are without parallel in the area. Our clinical and support expertise are in the top ranks, quantified by our high success vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) rates and low C-section rates. Our Maternal Child Health services have earned a richly deserved reputation for distinction, with designation by Baby Friendly USA (BFUSA) as a “Baby-Friendly” Hospital. BFUSA is a program of the World Health Organization (WHO) and United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), and Highland is one of only 250 designated programs in the nation.The new Highland Family Birthing Center continues AHS’s commitment to Baby-Friendly care for the mother and baby.
Located on the 4th Floor of the Acute Care Tower, the new Family Birthing Center features:
- Brand new, state-of-the-art, eco-friendly building with the latest technology and equipment.
- Large private labor and delivery rooms, with comfortable, home-like environment for mother, baby and family bonding.
- Family-friendly policies. Family member visits allowed during the entire birthing process, according to circumstances and mother’s wishes.
- Eight labor and delivery rooms, all spacious and private, include bathrooms with tubs, sleeper beds for guests and flat-screen TVs.
- State-of-the-art postpartum suites provide homelike surround-ings to foster baby bonding.
- Medical equipment kept out of sight to limit clinical feel.
- Warm, welcoming environment, family-oriented and culturally sensitive.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Self-contained, state-of-the-art Level 2 NICU has eight rooms where mother and baby can stay together at the bedside; two overnight suites also available.
- We offer CenteringPregnancy prenatal care, in English and Spanish, to bring together women whose babies are due at the same time in a comfortable group setting.
- In your Centering group, you’ll get to know other moms and your midwives and other caregivers, share your experiences, and learn the best ways to prepare for birth and care for your newborn baby.
- Our diverse groups of Centering moms form valuable, lasting connections. Plus Centering has been shown to lead to healthier babies and more confident new moms.
- Skin to skin
- Touch is powerful. That’s why we encourage new moms to have skin-to-skin time with their babies immediately after birth and for as long as possible during the “golden hours” after birth.
- Skin-to-skin time is calming for you and your baby, releases hormones that lower stress, promotes healing, and helps breast milk production. It can help strengthen your baby’s brain through the smells, textures, and sounds of mom—or dad. It also helps moms and dads bond with their baby.
- If you and your baby have no health complications after birth, we encourage this precious skin-to-skin time to continue uninterrupted until your baby has a first feeding.
- Expert inpatient and outpatient lactation support.
- Labor and Delivery Tours
- Mondays at noon (excluding holidays and 5th Mon. of the month)
- More information: 510-437-4278
Every woman has unique preferences and needs for her health. At Alameda Health System, we put you at the center of your care. Our aim is to help you make the best health decisions possible by listening carefully to your concerns and providing you the most accurate and up-to-date health information and treatment options.
We provide medical and surgical OB and GYN care for women from their teenage through senior years. That includes all types of birth control, managing bleeding problems, infections, infertility services, cancer care, menopause and more.
We have midwives, OB-GYN specialists and high-risk pregnancy specialists providing the full range of pregnancy care whether your pregnancy is normal or complicated.
Our physicians, midwives, nurse practitioners and physician assistants work with a team of nurses, social workers, nutritionists, psychologists and others to provide all the care you need.
Some highlights include:
- A designated Baby Friendly Hospital with expert breastfeeding support
- Availability of the latest minimally invasive GYN surgical techniques
- Excellent success and safety record for women desiring a vaginal birth after cesarean section.
AHS is dedicated to meeting the needs of women during these very special times of their lives.
Our providers have received training from some of the nation’s top programs, and are from diverse ethnic, cultural and religious backgrounds. Our group includes board-certified obstetricians, those who specialize in high-risk pregnancies and those with special interest in lactation and family planning. Our certified nurse midwives are available 24 hours a day for women interested in having minimal intervention in the birthing experience.
Robust team of certified nurse midwives delivering some of the best safety, quality and experiential outcomes in the Bay Area.
Board-certified OB-GYNs, perinatologists and pediatricians.
24/7 licensed lactation support.
The Maternal-Child Health Department received the statewide Beta – Quest for Zero Award for improving reliability and reducing risk in obstetrics.
The department earned the Baby Friendly Hospital designation from the World Health Organization and UNICEF. Highland is the third hospital in the Bay Area and the second in the East Bay to achieve this prestigious designation.
Our OB/GYN physicians are in the top 30 percent in national rankings on patient satisfaction scores.