Alameda Health System (AHS) has received notice that members of the Service Employee International Union (SEIU) 1021, California Nurses Association and International Longshoremen and Warehouse Union 6 are scheduled to begin a five-day strike on Wednesday, October 7. The strike will end Monday, October 12.
AHS has been planning extensively to ensure we can deliver safe care at all of our facilities. We are committed to our role and responsibilities as a vital safety net provider for the communities we serve and are well prepared to meet your health care needs.
Supporting You During the Strike
- We are working closely with the California Department of Public Health, which is reviewing all of our strike plans to ensure public health and safety needs will be met.
- We’re proud to report that all AHS hospitals and wellness facilities will be open for the duration of the strike.
- While we are rescheduling elective surgeries and treatments, emergency and acute care services will be available with the exception of STEMI and the Cardiac Catheterization Lab. Patients will be referred to alternate sites for those services.
- The wellness centers will accommodate some walk-in urgent visits, however all appointments are being rescheduled or transitioned to telehealth visits.
- We are onboarding temporary workers who will provide patient care and support for the duration of the strike. These experienced professionals include licensed registered nurses, technicians and a broad range of other allied health professionals and support staff.
- Your safety and the safety of our staff remains a top priority and our usual COVID infection control protocols and policies remain in place for staff, patients and visitors, with regular screenings and masking requirements.